Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tissue?

My nephew in Malaysia, who is like three years old, always tries to help teach me how to speak Malay. Every time he tells me a word, and then I repeat it, he says, "no no no", shaking his finger. Then he repeats exactly how we both said it, and does this a few times. Normally it is actually helpful to me, and if he's correct in what he's saying, it teaches me Malay at a very primary level.

We were at a wedding recently though, and we were eating lunch. I asked for him to pass me the napkins, and he said, "no no no, tissue". I said, "oh sorry, right, tissue", and he said "no no no, tissue". Emphasizing one syllable or the other. I again said, "ohhhh, tissue", then he repeatedly told me, "no no no, tissue". I cooperated with this lesson for quite a while until something else came up and interrupted it.

It was funny because he is so dedicated in his teaching, and pronouncing. It was especially funny because he obviously assumes tissue is a Malay word, and although it is how almost every Malaysian refers to a napkin, or serviette, it is an English word as far as I know. It is surprisingly fun to have a three old foreigner try to teach you how to pronounce English words, and that was the first English word I was taught by a three year old foreigner.

No comments:

Post a Comment