Sunday, March 30, 2014

"Extensive" Grammar

I was once talking to someone I knew, and he said, "You have extensive grammar, I expect a lot from you." I can't actually remember the word he used for it. I don't think it was extensive, but it was a synonym for that. It was one of those things that could sound like a compliment coming from your grandma, but that would never be the intent of such a thing from a fella' you barely know at the sports bar. Plus, he was a life long parks employee, meaning he despised wordsmiths (just a theory of mine).

Anyway, when I heard him say that, I didn't take it as a compliment. I heard it like he expected me to be a liberal arts dropout who dies of a drug overdose. Although that would probably still make the town paper, I wouldn't classify it as a successful finish. I am not always suspicious of people having ulterior motives in what they say, but I didn't feel it was a fully genuine comment.

To show spite to the backhanded compliment, one could fight tooth and nail to become a University English professor, being that there are few other professions that offer great success to the "wordsmith" in North America. Truthfully though, fighting tooth and nail has never been one of my passions. That may actually be another reason that the really hard workers don't like me that much. Many hard workers would say you can't always find work you're "passionate" about, and they'd pronounce passionate in a very "nancy boy" fashion, maybe even doing the quotation marks with their fingers, but some people have to search for their passions.

Another way to spite the perceived backhandedness is not to become wealthy, but to disappear and live an awesome life where you're trying to prove nothing to anyone around your hometown. This method is much more suited to me, especially since I only recently discovered that I don't have the jewish passion for money, like the majority of humans do. That wasn't racist because I didn't capitalize the J. It changes the context of it.

I tried to post an ad on the internet and become an English tutor in Canada, assuming that immigrants may be interested in that. What actually happened though, is that a Canadian born kid got his dad to pay me to do his English homework so he could just focus on his math and science. I discovered quickly that this was not fulfilling at all, and would technically be a crime, so I had to end that arrangement. Now that I live in Southeast Asia, there is more demand for my language skills, and we'll see the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment