Monday, January 19, 2015

Lifestyles

I was talking with someone a while back, and I mentioned how I live in a trailer on “the family compound”. I only live there for a small portion of the year and I travel a lot. I have now been all around the world, to several different countries, and I have the freedom to do so because I have no mortgage, or lease.

The person was bragging how he lives in the trendiest neighbourhood in town, and I know how expensive that area is. He then criticized my living arrangement, and made a few "trailer trash" jokes. The ironic thing was that we both seemed to feel pity for each other. I am a very good judge of character, and I know for certain that although this fella' is proud of his home, and his lifestyle, he is not happy. His wife also seemed quite unhappy. 


Middle age is a horrible time to discover that you've worked so long, and so hard for a life that doesn't make you happy. It sure was lucky for me to realize that before I reached 30 years old. I discovered that I have that choice, and I may have eventually had to commit suicide if I devoted my life to meaningless, tedious tasks to gather possessions I can be proud of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment